Alcohol Offenses | Chambers Law Office
page-template-default,page,page-id-898,page-child,parent-pageid-75,bridge-core-1.0.6,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1300,qode-theme-ver-18.2,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_top,qode_header_in_grid,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.1,vc_responsive

Alcohol Offenses

Indiana Criminal Defense Lawyer – Alcohol Offenses


Alcohol offenses and underage drinkingAlcohol offenses are common charges and at Chambers Law Office, we have represented many clients against charges related to alcohol use or possession, including some of the most common charges such as public intoxication, disorderly conduct, and underage drinking or illegal possession of alcohol by a minor. While most cases such as these are filed as misdemeanors, they are still criminal charges and can have serious consequences. An experienced attorney can review your case and determine if there are any suppression issues and help you resolve your case, whether that is through a trial, plea or diversion agreement. If you or a loved one have been accused of an alcohol related offense, contact Chambers Law Office today.


Public Intoxication (I.C. 7.1-5-1-3)

Under Indiana law, it is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to be in a public place in a state of intoxication caused by the person’s use of alcohol (or a controlled substance) if the person:(1) endangers the person’s life; (2) endangers the life of another person; (3) breaches the peace or is in imminent danger of breaching the peace; or (4) harasses, annoys, or alarms another person. (I.C. 7.1-5-1-3).


In other words, if you are out in public, either on the street, in a bar or at Klipsch Music Center, and you are drunk or under the influence and are in such as state as to endanger yourself or others or are simply just annoying, you are at risk for being cited or arrested for public intoxication.


However, under Indiana’s “Lifeline” law, if a person is intoxicated, but is charged for public intoxication because someone called for medical assistance due to the use of alcohol the person may be placed in a diversion program under the guidance of the court and have the charges dismissed. (I.C. 7.1-5-1-6.6).


Possession of Alcohol by a Minor (Underage Drinking)

A minor who knowingly possesses alcohol, consumes an alcoholic beverage or transports an alcoholic beverage on a public highway when not accompanied by at least one (1) of the minor’s parents or guardians commits a Class C misdemeanor. If a minor is found to have violated these regulations while operating a vehicle, the court may order the minor’s driving privileges suspended for up to one (1) year, and if the minor is less than eighteen (18) years of age, the court shall order the minor’s driving privileges suspended for at least sixty (60) days.


Using a False ID

Under Indiana law, it is a Class C misdemeanor for a minor to knowingly or intentionally make a false statement of the minor’s age or to present or offer false identification (a fake ID) for the purpose of ordering, purchasing, or attempting to obtain an alcoholic beverage.


See here for more information the possible penalties for misdemeanor offenses.


Accused of an Alcohol Offense? Call Chambers Law Office

As a former deputy prosecuting attorney, Julie Chambers understands the criminal justice system. She spent four and a half years prosecuting misdemeanors, felonies and traffic offenses and she has experience trying both court trials and jury trials. She has also represented many clients accused of alcohol offenses. While most alcohol offenses are only misdemeanors, they are crimes and a conviction can follow a person for years. A criminal record may effect a job application, internship, housing application, graduate/law school admission, or cause a driver’s license suspension, among other consequences.


If you have been charged with public intoxication, underage drinking/possession of alcohol by a minor or using a fake ID, you need an experienced lawyer on your side. Contact Julie Chambers today to discuss your case.

Call Now Button